The Philippines has one of the fastest rates of new HIV infections in the world. For some time we have been wanting to respond. One very tangible step was to conduct a Channels of Hope Facilitator Training in Cebu in April.
The 22 people who attended were highly motivated and very influential.
Since the training we have had a very active WhatsApp group, and judging by that the participants have been busy. Just a few of the activities they have shared are:
• Sending out reminders for Thursdays in Black (movement against gender based violence).
• HIV vision casting with Micah Challenge Philippines (one of the training team members was convener of the HIV interest group, now a COH FT participant has taken over).
• A radio interview.
• Started an organisation.
• Met with school head teacher about classes for 16 and 17 year olds.
• Meeting to share about HIV ministry with other Christian leaders.
• Workshop for street kids and orphans, conducted by two former street kids who did the training.
• Awareness sessions with churches.
• Workshop in schools.
• A livelihood training for people who are living with HIV.
We are very pleased with the response from this training and believe that it is impacting a nation.